CENTER HARBOR BANDSTAND
Center Harbor takes pride in having the oldest continuous town band in the state.It was founded by Stephinus Kelley, Nov., 1878, and led by him for 25 years. The first bandstand stood on the site of the town hall. Occasionally concerts were given at the Mayo Farm, (Waukewan Rd.), on the shoreline of the lake, Time brought deterioration to the old bandstand , and for years the weekly summer concerts were held in the first station.
During the planning for Center Harbor’s 200th anniversary, it was suggested a new bandstand be built to honor the town and the bands’ existence. Funds for the
project were at zero! Many gifts of both money, hours of volunteer labor and material went into the making of the bandstand. It was designed by Chris Williams, local architect.
The bandstand was designed to deliver sound toward the audience., The railing inserts convert in summer to sailboat design , and evergreens in the winter. A copula is lilt at night that accents its beauty. An amphitheater with granite seating compliments this outstanding landmark. It was completed in 1997. – cost $60,000.